Friday, January 15, 2010

Cheesy Potatoes

Cheesy potatoes seem to be one of those things where everyone has a different recipe, but they all taste the same. Some use hashbrowns, some cubes; some cheddar cheese, some american etc. To me, this is one of my ultimate comfort foods that I usually only eat at holiday celebrations, but wish I had more often!

This Christmas was the first time that I was asked to make the infamous cheesy potatoes (well, actually just potatoes, but there was really only one option in my mind). I got out the trusty "church cookbook" to peruse the multiple cheesy potato recipes at hand. I could not find anything that truly tickled my fancy, so I mixed and matched a few and came up with my own version.

One thing that I would change next time is adding 2 cans of cream of chicken soup (noted below) because I was being critical of myself and thought they were dry, but all the Nelson's loved them! (not naming any names, but one of them even ate a plate before they were cooked and said they were good!)

Cheesy Potatoes
Source: Kitchen Escapes

Ingredients:
2 lbs frozen hash browns (used 2 bags of simply potatoes hash browns)
8-12 oz. sour cream
1/4-1/2 cup melted butter
2 cans cream of chicken soup (healthy request or low-sodium)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 3oz. can french fried onions
salt and pepper

Grease crockpot with cooking spray or butter. Combine all ingredients, saving half of the onions, in crockpot and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low 7 hours (give or take a few). Sprinkle remaining onions on top before serving.

No comments: