Friday, January 29, 2010

Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf

Our first meatloaf as husband and wife and we can't go the traditional route! This is one of a few recipe that I have actually seen Andy get excited about. Even before we baked it we had this conversation:
A: Oh man, a meal I can make by myself when you're not home.
S: You don't even know that it will be good yet....
A: I can tell.

Turns out, I wasn't a fan. Actually, I had one bite and wouldn't eat anymore. I don't know why I thought I would like it in the first place, I do not like buffalo sauce. I think Andy was a bit disappointed as well, but that was probably more due to the Vikings loss:(. After bringing leftovers for lunch, he now rates it a 4/5 and will think about making it for himself if needed sometime. If you love buffalo sauce then go ahead and give this a try!

Buffalo Chicken Meatloaf
Source: Erin's Food Files, Adapted from: Biggest Loser Cookbook as seen on Lobster & Fishsticks

Olive oil spray

2/3 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup fat free milk
1/3 cup hot sauce, plus more to sprinkle on top
1 lb extra-lean ground chicken breast
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup shredded carrot (I didn't have any on hand, so I just increased the celery & onion to 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup crumbled reduced fat blue cheese

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly mist a 9” x 5” x 3” nonstick loaf pan with olive oil spray.

Combine oats and milk in a medium size mixing bowl. Mix well. Let stand for 3 minutes or until oats are softened. Stir in hot sauce until well mixed. Add chicken, celery, carrots, onion, egg whites, and salt. With fork, mix ingredients well. Add blue cheese and gently mix.

Transfer mixture to pan and spread so that top is flat. Sprinkle on a couple shakes of hot sauce and spread evenly. Bake 35 to 40 mins or until chicken is no longer pink. Cut into 8 slices. Makes 4 servings.

Nutrition Facts: 263 calories per serving, 35g protein, 14g carbohydrates, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 74mg sodium (Note: 2 slices = 1 serving.)

No comments: