Sunday, October 18, 2009

Pork Potstickers

A few months ago I had an assignment at school to attend a 'cultural event.' After my first attempt at an event turned out to be a bit disappointing, I found plan B. Plan B took me to my first Asian grocery store, United Noodles, and it introduced me to Dr. Lo. Dr. Lo works with my mom, and she taught me how to make traditional Pork Potstickers, as well as the history behind how these dumplings came to be called 'potstickers.'

This is the first time I have made potstickers since meeting Dr. Lo, but I was surprised by how much I remembered! These are definitely fun to make, but a bit time consuming. Next time I think I'll invite someone to join me (my mother-in-law has already requested I teach her!).

Here is a shot of the potstickers during the pan-frying stage:

Here is a shot during the final, steaming stage:


Pork Potstickers

Ingredients:
1/2 C. finely chopped Bok Choy leaves
1/2 C. finely chopped Sui Choy (Napa cabbage)
1/4 C. finely chopped green onion
1/4 C. finely chopped shitake mushrooms
1 Tbls. finely chopped ginger
1 lb. ground pork
1 tsp. soy sauce
2 tsp. Chinese rice wine
1 tsp. sesame oil
dash of black pepper
1 egg yolk
1 package wonton or gyoza wrappers

water for sealing wrappers and steaming
vegetable oil for pan-frying

Combine all ingredients through egg yolk (easiest to use your hands.) Place a heaping teaspoon of filling in the middle of a wrapper, being careful not to overfill or get too close to the edge.

To fold the dumpling, moisten the edges of the wrapper with water. Gently fold the wrapper up over filling and crimp edges to seal tightly. Cover dumplings with a slightly damp paper towel until ready to cook.

Heat a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tsp. vegetable oil. Add 8-10 potstickers, being careful to not overcrowd the pan. Fry 2-3 minutes, until the bottom is browned. Add 1/3 cup water, cover and let steam until all the liquid is absorbed, about 4-5 minutes. Remove from pan and cook the rest of the potstickers.

Serve alone, or with the following simple dipping sauce:
4 Tbls. soy sauce
1 Tbls. sesame oil
2 tsp. finely minced ginger
2 tsp. chopped green onion
pinch of sugar, to taste

No comments: