Thursday, July 9, 2009

Tomato Cream Sauce


Tonight for dinner I wanted something quick, easy and comforting. After a recent trip to Costco we now have a massive bag of frozen cheese ravioli, so I decided to whip up a nice sauce to compliment the pasta. When I come up with things on my own I don't measure anything out, so most of these are approximations, and you can really use more or less of everything depending on how much sauce you want. This made enough to serve with 15 jumbo ravioli with about 1.5 cups saved for use later.


All I had was half and half, and it seemed to curdle a tiny bit right after being put in the sauce. No biggy, it still worked out. This was also pretty spicy for me, but that's how the hubster likes it so I deal.

Tomato Cream Sauce
Ingredients
1 shallot, minced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 14 oz can stewed tomatoes
1-2 tbls tomato paste
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/4-1/2 cup half and half or heavy cream
2 tbls olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil and saute shallot and garlic until softened. Add all tomato ingredients and spices. Simmer for about 20 minutes until thickened slightly. Slowly add half and half and simmer for 5 more minutes. (you might not necessarily need to do all the simmering, I just like to because I think it makes the flavors come together better.)

Serve.

No comments: