Thursday, July 9, 2009

Guacamole


Please don't let this picture steer you away from making this. My avocados were turning brown, the lighting isn't very good in the kitchen, and I seem to be camera illiterate.

Moving on, this is the easiest guacamole, ever. Whenever I see other recipes I always wonder why people go to all the trouble, when they could go this route. I do have to give a shout out here to one of my oldest friends, Sonja, for cluing me in on this simple, yet delicious way of making the guac. While visiting Sonja last summer at her home in Chicago she whipped this up and I've been obsessed ever since. Thanks Sone!!

I've found that when making this, fresh salsa tastes a lot better than the jarred kind. However, we moved a couple months ago and for the life of me I have not been able to find the fresh salsa in my grocery store yet. As usual, ingredients can be manipulated to fit the size of your crowd, approximations are my friend.
Guacamole
Ingredients
3 avocados
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/8-1/4 tsp. of cumin
1/8-1/4 tsp. of crushed red pepper
1/2 cup salsa
juice of half a lime
Halve avocados and remove pits (Here is a nice explanation of how to go about getting the pit out. I live by method 2b, which is not really that tricky). Mash with a fork to desired consistency. Add remaining ingredients and adjust to fit your tastes. I've been toying with the idea of adding in a jalepeno or some cilantro, so that is an option as well.
Serve.

No comments: